March 29, 2024
88 Guests and Online

Please consider Sign Uping

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Sign Up

Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

sp_Feed Topic RSS GOTJ23
BIZ MARKIE Rest in Peace
July 18, 2021
8:32 pm
Miklo Velka
Miklo Velka
Members
Forum Posts: 3590
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

‘Just a Friend’ rapper Biz Markie dead at 57

Enlarge Image

Biz Markie, the legendary New York rapper and DJ best known for his 1989 hit “Just a Friend,” died Friday evening after a battle with complications from diabetes. He was 57.

The beloved artist died at a Baltimore hospital, and held his wife’s hand as he took his last breath, according to his manager.

“It is with profound sadness that we announce, this evening, with his wife Tara by his side, Hip Hop pioneer Biz Markie peacefully passed away,” Jenni Izumi said in a statement to The Post.

“We are grateful for the many calls and prayers of support that we have received during this difficult time. Biz created a legacy of artistry that will forever be celebrated by his industry peers and his beloved fans whose lives he was able to touch through music, spanning over 35 years.”

No official cause of death was released. Markie had long struggled with Type 2 diabetes, and was hospitalized in April 2020 due to complications from the illness.

“To the baddest in the beats icon legend … my brother BIZ MARKIE… I’LL miss you more than words ….,” his brother, rapper Diamond Shell posted on Facebook.

DJ Biz Markie attends the third Annual Multicultural Media Correspondents Dinner at the National Press Club in 2018.
NurPhoto via Getty Images

The Harlem native, born Marcel Theo Hall, was raised on Long Island and was lovingly known as “The Clown Prince of Hip Hop,” for his lighthearted and irreverent musical style and persona.

He gained notoriety for his beat boxing and rhyming skills, breaking into the music industry in 1985 as a beat boxer for Roxanne Shante of the Juice Crew.

The artist recorded five full length albums, and the popularity of his earworm platinum hit about an unavailable romantic interest continues to resonate with international audiences across generational lines.

His song “Just a Friend” was nominated for an MTV Music Award for best video and reached No. 9 on the Billboard charts, a position that wouldn’t give justice to the tune’s iconic standing and lasting appeal.

Markie was signed at various times to Cold Chillin Records, Warner Bros, Tommy Boy Music and Warner Records.

He was also known for his work in film and TV, including “Men in Black II” and Nick Jr’s children’s program “Yo Gabba Gabba” where he would perform “Biz’s Beat of the Day.”

Markie was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes in 2011, and, a few years later, revealed he had lost 140 pounds in an effort to overcome his illnesses and avoid possible amputations.

“I wanted to live,” he told ABC News in 2014. “Since I have to be a diabetic, If I didn’t make the changes, it was going to make the diabetes worse. I’m trying to get off [the Diabetes meds]. The way you gotta do it is lose the weight. I’m off half my meds, I just got to get off the rest.”

Tributes from across the music industry and beyond poured in after word of his death broke Friday evening.

Biz Markie had battled with diabetes.
Jon Kopaloff/Getty Images

“This one hurts baad … RIP to my Aries bro… ahhh man @BizMarkie damn im gonna miss u so so many memories.. hurts bad. My FRIEND,” Queens rapper QTip tweeted.

“We lost another Rap legend Mr. Biz Markie, an American rapper, singer, DJ, record producer, actor, comedian, and writer. He’s best known for his 1989 single “Just a Friend”! To a lot of us he was more than Just a Friend. R.I.P. Prayers going out to the family & friends,” Parliament-Funkadelic bassist Bootsy Collins wrote.

“Rest In Peace. This man made my laugh, cry, and feel such joy. You will be missed !! The incomparable #bizmarkie Not just a friend, an inspirational soul,” TV host Tamron Hall said.

“He leaves behind a wife, many family members and close friends who will miss his vibrant personality, constant jokes and frequent banter,” Izumi said.

cig

Whoop Whoop Miklo Velka :

genocide_cutter
July 19, 2021
12:33 am
Old Mr Dangerous
Old Mr Dangerous
Members
Forum Posts: 9038
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Props and love

Forum Timezone: America/Chicago

Most Users Ever Online: 591

Currently Online:
83 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

The Warlock: 11663

King Lucem Ferre: 9098

Old Mr Dangerous: 8974

krunk: 8060

OCJ_Brendan: 6148

Member Stats:

Guest Posters: 755

Members: 3743

Moderators: 6

Admins: 2

Forum Stats:

Groups: 5

Forums: 28

Topics: 12299

Newest Members:

cryptoads12, ketofxerfarenheter, sunny992, levishang, loppoxz

Moderators: GanjaGoblin: 2873, Psyral: 4297, bozodklown: 394, scruffy: 11447, PunkRockJuggalo: 6559, Pigg: 6492

Administrators: admin: 1, ScottieD: 845