March 28, 2024
57 Guests and Online

Please consider Sign Uping

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Sign Up

Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_Related Related Topics GOTJ23
cypress fuckin hill
August 8, 2014
7:24 am
scruffy
scruffy
Members

Moderators
Forum Posts: 11447
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

as ive probably mentioned before, catching cypress hill live was a goal ive been comin up short on for well over twenty years.  

they were the only act i considered 'cant miss' this year.  ive caught icp something like thirty-five times;  if i had missed the dark lotus set, well, it wouldnt have been the first.  

understand that cypress hill is pretty much the reason i listen to hip-hop.  through the eighties, i listened to basicly whatever mtv told me to listen to.  i noticed that i was gettin more into hip-hop over time, then here comes cypress hill, and [seemingly overnight] rock, pop, r n b and metal became boring, or at least failed to hold my attention.  

around the same time, house of pain showed up.  for years, those two groups were about all i listened to regularly, until around 94 or so, when wu-tang blew up.  

[another extremely cool thing about the gathering this year was that danny boy kicked a couple of house of pain songs during the lcn set.  much like coolio or x-clan, it was mostly younger ninjas bobbin their heads and lookin around, while the thirty-somethings wiled out like spastics.  great moments.]  

sooo, i got to fulfill a lifelong dream of gettin high as fuck while cypress kicked hits from the bong;  just to be weird, i yelled the spanish versions of a lot of the choruses, from their grandes exitos album [which is fuckin awesome, by the way.  worth it even if you dont speak spanish];  got to see eric bobo and b-real freak the drums from twenty feet away [i didnt know b-real is a drummer...];  they didnt bust out their usual bong during hits from the bong, b-real grabbed one from the crowd, a ludicrously big plastic dayglo thing, he gave sincere thanks for letting him hit it.  

they did the classic 'this side versus that side' thing.  i think it surprised them, how that went over.  we were like, 'oh, we know this gag... watch this...'  

soon as they start with the whole whos side is more live, a rift opens in the crowd, and each side is talking mad shit [screamin mad shit, really], throwin up middle fingers n shit, jumpin and mean-muggin, chuckin trash at each other.  it was great, cuz we all knew it was a gag, but sen and b-real looked for a moment like they were worried that they had accidentally started a gang war.  i fuckin love it when world-famous artists who have seen it all do double-takes at juggalo shows.  

aaand, one more major point [for me, anyway], is that i broke a personal rule, and for the first time ever, surfed the crowd.  

normally, i cordially despise crowd surfers.  i expect it, and im sure its cool for them...  but im too tall; my head, neck and shoulders are just a speed bump in their path.  ive been slapped, punched, kicked, squished, et cetera, by so many crowd surfers over the years that i swore, many times, that i would not do it myself, and drop my big ass boots onto unsuspecting heads.  

well, after i finished smokin what i had with me, i decided i had nothing in my pockets that i would miss, and pigg had just offered to launch me up.  so i thought, fuck it.  

i always assumed that my lanky ass would flop all over everybody and just get in their way, but it turned out that i had perfect, ninja-like balance.  despite my size, i dont weigh all that much, and i glided across the top of the crowd in total comfort.  it really was strangely comfortable.  didnt kick anyone in the dome, and when i got near the front, they just casually tossed me over the rail.  

woulda landed neatly on my feet, too, except one of the barricade boys grabbed my leg as i went by.  that upended me, and it wouldve caused me to land squarely on my head, but another security appeared out of nowhere and slowed my fall like a bungee cable.  i got to my feet, gave that guy a dap, and he spontaneously gave me a big hug, like he was thanking me for not breaking my face.  ive never seen security workin a juggalo crowd hug anybody, except occasionally when heaving some kid out the front door.  

on top of that, soon as i got back to the crowd, i ran into a couple good homies that live near me, whom ive known for years, but only ever seem to see anymore when i bump into them at gatherings.  

for a fact, i had as much fun [or more] hangin out with the flh forum representatives;  but for me, nothing at the gathering was bigger, than cypress hill.  

yeah, it took me a while to get around to this, so it isnt exactly current.  sue me.  

awfully paranoid, arent you?   

August 8, 2014
8:03 am
BZA
BZA
Members
Forum Posts: 767

I'm just so glad noone threw shit at them, I would've renounced everything icp related

August 8, 2014
2:16 pm
Mrs Hill
Mrs Hill
Members
Forum Posts: 5

Some shit were thrown on stage but nothing that could hurt them. I saw B-Real avoiding some of them and at one moment he threw back at the crowd. I think it was just to clear the stage.
But yeah Cypress is my number one band too. They're also the main reason why i got into Hip Hop in the early 2000's. They're at the top of all my fav bands

August 8, 2014
2:53 pm
GanjaGoblin
215, PA
Members

Moderators
Forum Posts: 2886

I was glad to see Cyprus hill too. They've been in the rap game for awhile now, their the shit and they were the few performances I wanted to see this year. Yeah once they announced that 'that side sucks, fuck them' it was on. I had glowsticks as always.

IMG_20230801_214952_500_x_150_pixel.jpg

August 8, 2014
3:27 pm
Pigg
Pigg
영덕, South Korea
Moderators

Members
Forum Posts: 6492

I was so afraid the drums or turntables for some of these shows were gonna get fucked up.

August 8, 2014
3:54 pm
Old Mr Dangerous
Old Mr Dangerous
Members
Forum Posts: 9037

@scruffy 

Good synopsis . I love me some Cypress. Even the dissed on "IV". Would love to see them live. Did they play anything from their metal endeavors like "Trouble"?

August 8, 2014
5:58 pm
Carnivalkilla44
Members
Forum Posts: 3520

@scruffy How the fuck did I miss you big ass crowd surfing? I was right behind you during Cypress Hill. Musta been some good weed...

Image Enlarger

August 8, 2014
6:11 pm
scruffy
scruffy
Members

Moderators

@old-mr-dangerous 

lets see...  what did they play...  

rise up, how i could just kill a man, latin lingo, hand on the pump, i wanna get high, roll it up light it up, hits from the bong, dr greenthumb, insane in the brain, tequila sunrise, rock superstar to close it out.  thats what is comin back immediately.  

they mightve done checkmate, riot starter, another body drops.  im pretty sure they did something from stoned raiders, it mightve been trouble.  not much of the rockdafied metally stuff.  

they did not do pigs, lick a shot, or through the eye of the pig.  nor a dozen other more obscure songs that i love.  which was a pity, but whattayagonnado?  

i think iv is one of their better albums.  id say stoned raiders is the one that i like the least.  

@carnivalkilla44  

i wasnt up there very long, then i came back to the same spot.    

August 9, 2014
7:03 am
Old Mr Dangerous
Old Mr Dangerous
Members

scruffy said
@old-mr-dangerous 

lets see...  what did they play...  

rise up, how i could just kill a man, latin lingo, hand on the pump, i wanna get high, roll it up light it up, hits from the bong, dr greenthumb, insane in the brain, tequila sunrise, rock superstar to close it out.  thats what is comin back immediately.  

they mightve done checkmate, riot starter, another body drops.  im pretty sure they did something from stoned raiders, it mightve been trouble.  not much of the rockdafied metally stuff.  

they did not do pigs, lick a shot, or through the eye of the pig.  nor a dozen other more obscure songs that i love.  which was a pity, but whattayagonnado?  

i think iv is one of their better albums.  id say stoned raiders is the one that i like the least.  

@carnivalkilla44  

i wasnt up there very long, then i came back to the same spot.    

Stoned Raiders isn't awful, but its a lesser Cypress album, which makes it still a great hip hop record. And yes "Through the Eye of the Pig" is dope. 

August 9, 2014
7:26 am
scruffy
scruffy
Members

Moderators

well, they cant all be black sunday.  

of course, not many albums in history stand up to black sunday.  icp hasnt done very much that is better than black sunday.  

August 9, 2014
7:33 am
Old Mr Dangerous
Old Mr Dangerous
Members

scruffy said
well, they cant all be black sunday.  

of course, not many albums in history stand up to black sunday.  icp hasnt done very much that is better than black sunday.  

Indeed.

August 9, 2014
12:47 pm
VeryTwiztidRaven
VeryTwiztidRaven
Members
Forum Posts: 492

scruffy said
soon as they start with the whole whos side is more live, a rift opens in the crowd, and each side is talking mad shit [screamin mad shit, really], throwin up middle fingers n shit, jumpin and mean-muggin, chuckin trash at each other.  it was great, cuz we all knew it was a gag, but sen and b-real looked for a moment like they were worried that they had accidentally started a gang war.  i fuckin love it when world-famous artists who have seen it all do double-takes at juggalo shows. 

This was great. They had a genuine "OH SHIT! I've never seen a crowd do THAT!" look on their faces when everyone started screaming and throwing stuff so ferociously. Really funny.

And you were like a master of crowd surfing. I bet it didn't take you four or five seconds to make it all the way to the front.

-Jules

January 7, 2021
11:01 pm
Old Mr Dangerous
Old Mr Dangerous
Members

bumpbatmanrasta_gifcheersshots

Playing "IV" again, it has been years. Toking some Tangerine Power.

What music by Cypress do yall think is good but maybe underappreciated? This album is great. I don't think I've ever disliked an album, but there have been plenty of weak tracks. 

January 8, 2021
5:44 am
BodeeBagz
BodeeBagz
Members
Forum Posts: 105

Yeah I love IV massively underrated never understood why people didnt like it, some of they'e best on that only the whole mix on the CD is low in volume you have to whack up the stereo.

Hmmm underappreciated Cypress Hill. I'd say the Skull (hip hop) disc on Skull & Bones most just remember the metal disc which is still wicked but not many songs on skull get play and Cuban Neckie is one of their best. Also have the throw in the "Rarieties / B sides" although Sen Dog had left it basically a B-Real solo remix album with guest but I think some of their best versions of tracks like the piano in Boom Biddy By By and I HAVE NEVER liked Fugees but that version I hear in my head as the original. Plus the stoned production on Throw Your Hands.

Now for me the most underrated and in my opinion criminal to ignore is the last release Elephants On Acid !!!! I keep telling people I know that this is one of THE best albums ever made in any type of music period !!! And I listen to lots of different music. This album is like when bands made proper albums when all music was on vinyl, or just the days when groups made albums not feeling like a collection of songs when the whole album is one giant piece of music and feel. Everyone I tell to listen to it says "what songs are the best" and Im like "No" I can't tell you one song you have to listen to it as one piece it takes you on a journey each track slips into the next. As soon as I heard it I was like fuck that was dark it's Temples Of Boom Pt2 !!!! and TOB was my fave by them, both albums work playing next too each other as well I feel playing EOA into TOB works best but tried both ways and so should you !! cheers

Its like a fucking Hawkwind experience, I've even meditated to this whole album couple times it's production is such that nothing is too in your face and up and down yet all consuming. Also good to see a different Cypress Hill, it not like their usual album, tracks are short (hardly any over 4 mins), not too many lyrics lots of space for soundscapes. (only thing I don't like like most Cypress albums after Black Sunday Sen Dogg just feels like a backing vocal/hype man)

Sorry fucking love this album

batmanbatman

Whoop Whoop BodeeBagz :

Old Mr Dangerous
January 8, 2021
9:46 am
Old Mr Dangerous
Old Mr Dangerous
Members

BodeeBagz said
Yeah I love IV massively underrated never understood why people didnt like it, some of they'e best on that only the whole mix on the CD is low in volume you have to whack up the stereo.

Hmmm underappreciated Cypress Hill. I'd say the Skull (hip hop) disc on Skull & Bones most just remember the metal disc which is still wicked but not many songs on skull get play and Cuban Neckie is one of their best. Also have the throw in the "Rarieties / B sides" although Sen Dog had left it basically a B-Real solo remix album with guest but I think some of their best versions of tracks like the piano in Boom Biddy By By and I HAVE NEVER liked Fugees but that version I hear in my head as the original. Plus the stoned production on Throw Your Hands.

Now for me the most underrated and in my opinion criminal to ignore is the last release Elephants On Acid !!!! I keep telling people I know that this is one of THE best albums ever made in any type of music period !!! And I listen to lots of different music. This album is like when bands made proper albums when all music was on vinyl, or just the days when groups made albums not feeling like a collection of songs when the whole album is one giant piece of music and feel. Everyone I tell to listen to it says "what songs are the best" and Im like "No" I can't tell you one song you have to listen to it as one piece it takes you on a journey each track slips into the next. As soon as I heard it I was like fuck that was dark it's Temples Of Boom Pt2 !!!! and TOB was my fave by them, both albums work playing next too each other as well I feel playing EOA into TOB works best but tried both ways and so should you !! cheers

Its like a fucking Hawkwind experience, I've even meditated to this whole album couple times it's production is such that nothing is too in your face and up and down yet all consuming. Also good to see a different Cypress Hill, it not like their usual album, tracks are short (hardly any over 4 mins), not too many lyrics lots of space for soundscapes. (only thing I don't like like most Cypress albums after Black Sunday Sen Dogg just feels like a backing vocal/hype man)

Sorry fucking love this album

batmanbatman  

Yes! I like to play Elephants in its whole at the dispensary for background vibes. Some of those beats are super neat. Definitely their most experimental album and it is awesome. 

January 8, 2021
1:18 pm
BodeeBagz
BodeeBagz
Members
Forum Posts: 105

cool man if I lived nearby id just hang out at your shop listening to tunes. Give that and TOB as double see which way round you think they work better

Whoop Whoop BodeeBagz :

Old Mr Dangerous
January 8, 2021
3:15 pm
Old Mr Dangerous
Old Mr Dangerous
Members

BodeeBagz said
cool man if I lived nearby id just hang out at your shop listening to tunes. Give that and TOB as double see which way round you think they work better  

Been bumping a lot of MF Doom lately for obvious reasons. Been a weird time

June 25, 2021
8:22 pm
genocide_cutter
genocide_cutter
Members
Forum Posts: 319

Insane in the Membrane

June 29, 2021
4:44 pm
Hypnotized Ninja
Members
Forum Posts: 827

Too bad they're touring same days as gathering, I'd like to see them this year.

Whoop Whoop Hypnotized Ninja :

genocide_cutter
Forum Timezone: America/Chicago

Most Users Ever Online: 591

Currently Online:
71 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

The Warlock: 11663

King Lucem Ferre: 9098

Old Mr Dangerous: 8974

krunk: 8060

OCJ_Brendan: 6148

Member Stats:

Guest Posters: 755

Members: 3743

Moderators: 6

Admins: 2

Forum Stats:

Groups: 5

Forums: 28

Topics: 12299

Newest Members:

loppoxz, morbidmikey, Promotionalows, Justinvam

Moderators: GanjaGoblin: 2873, Psyral: 4297, bozodklown: 394, scruffy: 11447, PunkRockJuggalo: 6559, Pigg: 6492

Administrators: admin: 1, ScottieD: 845