April 25, 2024
77 Guests and 1 Member Online

Please consider Sign Uping

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Sign Up

Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

sp_Feed Topic RSS GOTJ23
Official UnGathering thread
July 29, 2019
12:11 pm
The Warlock
New Mexico
Members
Forum Posts: 11702
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Drunkalo said
I said in the first post we could wing it. Nothing was set in stone. We could draw a name from a hat out of everyone thats played along? That make you feel more comfortable?

That sucks, stay at home and drink. Driving is no good while drinking. Fun, yes. Good, no  

I was at a show being my boy SK's hypeman.. I fucked up and was speeding on my way home..

Whoop Whoop The Warlock :

Drunkalo

flh-banna-coFFFpyDD_zpsKKl9s7vkap.jpg

July 29, 2019
4:32 pm
Pigg
Pigg
영덕, South Korea
Moderators

Members
Forum Posts: 6492

The Warlock said

never heard of him..

what makes someone a lyricist in your book??  

To me? Basically the overall ability to use lyrics to say interesting things, or to do interesting things musically

So that includes the traditional avenues like wordplay, multisyllabic and internal rhymes,  vocabulary, and turning phrases; but also things like understanding cadence, alliteration and assonance, and being able to actually say something when you rap.

That being said, rappers don't have to necessarily need to have all of these qualities for me to like them, and I think having a command over flow is just as important as having strong lyrics.

If we're talking vocabulary, Aesop Rock blows anyone out of the water:

I used to think Ace was just saying words. That nothing he said made sense, then I realized his lyrics are just incredibly dense with allusions and uncommon ways of saying things.

Here he is toning it down a little bit to focus on story telling:

Also, JID is basically the only person worth listening to from last year's XXL freshman class.

Gift of Gab and Afro are pretty dope, too.

July 29, 2019
4:44 pm
Pigg
Pigg
영덕, South Korea
Moderators

Members

I'm also a fan of brother Ali for being able to use internal and multisyllabic rhymes while still managing to have meaningful lyrics and the ability to tell a story.

Whoop Whoop Pigg :

Chuckieboy
July 29, 2019
4:50 pm
The Warlock
New Mexico
Members

Pigg said

To me? Basically the overall ability to use lyrics to say interesting things, or to do interesting things musically

So that includes the traditional avenues like wordplay, multisyllabic and internal rhymes,  vocabulary, and turning phrases; but also things like understanding cadence, alliteration and assonance, and being able to actually say something when you rap.

That being said, rappers don't have to necessarily need to have all of these qualities for me to like them, and I think having a command over flow is just as important as having strong lyrics.

i feel like cadence & flow have nothing to do with lyricism & just helps someone be a more well-rounded emcee..

It might be more important than lyrics in this day & age but i personally would rather listen to rapper who's actually sayin something with a weak flow than a rapper with a crazy flow but boring lyrics..

July 29, 2019
4:54 pm
The Warlock
New Mexico
Members

also, alliteration and assonance is much more common and traditional than turn of phrase.. in hop hop..

July 29, 2019
5:03 pm
Pigg
Pigg
영덕, South Korea
Moderators

Members

The Warlock said

Pigg said

i feel like cadence & flow have nothing to do with lyricism & just helps someone be a more well-rounded emcee..

Cadence is related to both. Words inherently have their own cadence. Being able to choose lyrics that have an appealing cadence is lyricism (in a sense)

It might be more important than lyrics in this day & age but i personally would rather listen to rapper who's actually sayin something with a weak flow than a rapper with a crazy flow but boring lyrics..  

I didn't say it was MORE important, I said as important.

You'd rather listen to someone with strong lyrics AND a strong flow, right?

I know alliteration and assonance are common, but they're still important to me.

July 29, 2019
5:12 pm
The Warlock
New Mexico
Members

Pigg said

I know alliteration and assonance are common, but they're still important to me.  

i know what you said..

nah i wouldnt.. it's rare to find both.. you usually have to sacrifice lyrics for flow if youre goin in that direction..

I could care less about 'em.. i dont consider those 2 things difficult at all..

this track has lil of everything you mentioned but truthfully I dont rate it that high.. it was just a random throwaway track that fit well with the beat & project..

July 29, 2019
5:33 pm
Chuckieboy
Members
Forum Posts: 898

Eazy mac goes in. Check him out if u haven't. I hate he always has that golden cat with him tho. Dude ruins shit

July 29, 2019
6:15 pm
Pigg
Pigg
영덕, South Korea
Moderators

Members

The Warlock said

Pigg said

i know what you said..

nah i wouldnt.. it's rare to find both.. you usually have to sacrifice lyrics for flow if youre goin in that direction..

I could care less about 'em.. i dont consider those 2 things difficult at all..

this track has lil of everything you mentioned but truthfully I dont rate it that high.. it was just a random throwaway track that fit well with the beat & project..

Different strokes for different folks, I guess. If someone is out of the pocket the song sounds like shit to me, no matter how good the lyrics are. The sound is almost grating.

I don't think something has to be difficult in order for it to be good. There's a lot of simple music that is still appealing to me.

Sometimes there is talent in brevity. 

I remember really digging your Spittendope album. Those RaisiK beats were fire.

July 29, 2019
6:30 pm
The Warlock
New Mexico
Members

Pigg said

Different strokes for different folks, I guess. If someone is out of the pocket the song sounds like shit to me, no matter how good the lyrics are. The sound is almost grating.

I don't think something has to be difficult in order for it to be good. There's a lot of simple music that is still appealing to me.

Sometimes there is talent in brevity. 

I remember really digging your Spittendope album. Those RaisiK beats were fire.  

well yeah it cant be too terrible..

I agree, not everything has to be crazy complex.. but it does when we're rating lyricism..

yeah, he's dope.. I got 2 of his beats on my upcoming wicked project..

July 29, 2019
9:47 pm
King Lucem Ferre
King Lucem Ferre
Members
Forum Posts: 9104

Shout out to Pigg for the Junji Ito.

I'm not hating but I've yet to hear Warlock use a word that's ever took me by surprise.

Speaking of lyricism, Pigg are there any Korean words that don't exist in English? I know German has a lot like 'zeitgeist'.

July 29, 2019
10:18 pm
The Warlock
New Mexico
Members

King Lucem Ferre said
Shout out to Pigg for the Junji Ito.

I'm not hating but I've yet to hear Warlock use a word that's ever took me by surprise.

Speaking of lyricism, Pigg are there any Korean words that don't exist in English? I know German has a lot like 'zeitgeist'.  

that sounds like some hater shit.. listen to that resonate track & hear me kill your favorite rapper over his own beat..

July 29, 2019
10:26 pm
King Lucem Ferre
King Lucem Ferre
Members

The Warlock said

that sounds like some hater shit.. listen to that resonate track & hear me kill your favorite rapper over his own beat..  

I doubt you jacked a beat from Sadistik.

July 29, 2019
10:30 pm
The Warlock
New Mexico
Members

you know who im talkin about...

July 29, 2019
10:54 pm
King Lucem Ferre
King Lucem Ferre
Members

The Warlock said
you know who im talkin about...  

You ruined it. I gave you the props and the critique in an edit and you ruined it.

Short version then, lyrics good, delivery bad. If the delivery was good it'd be better than half of my catalog. Maybe. Lyrics live far below your braggadocio though. Nothing I heard really had an impact that would make me want to come racing back to it. Definitely didn't kill Kanye though. If you think it did you have a very limited cliche backpacker understanding of lyricsm which relates to how good and impactful lyrics are not just how well you can rhyme, how many punchlines you got and how many words you know. (This song didn't show off a vocabulary either.)

July 29, 2019
11:03 pm
The Warlock
New Mexico
Members

King Lucem Ferre said

You ruined it. I gave you the props and the critique in an edit and you ruined it.

Short version then, lyrics good, delivery bad. If the delivery was good it'd be better than half of my catalog. Maybe. Lyrics live far below your braggadocio though. Nothing I heard really had an impact that would make me want to come racing back to it. Definitely didn't kill Kanye though. If you think it did you have a very limited cliche backpacker understanding of lyricsm which relates to how good and impactful lyrics are not just how well you can rhyme, how many punchlines you got and how many words you know. (This song didn't show off a vocabulary either.)  

I dont remember saying it did show off my vocab..

lol.. you love tryin to take me down a notch dont you??

But homie this is my day
Class started 2 hours ago, oh am I late?
No, I already graduated

And you can live through anything if Magic made it

that is by far more terrible & stupider than anything i said in mine..

July 29, 2019
11:17 pm
King Lucem Ferre
King Lucem Ferre
Members

The Warlock said

But homie this is my day
No, I already graduated

The Warlock said

But homie this is my day
No, I already graduated

You asked me to listen to it, I assumed you wanted my opinion. In response to me saying that you've never used a word that's ever caught my attention. Don't be insecure, I assure not everything I said was negative.

July 29, 2019
11:25 pm
The Warlock
New Mexico
Members

King Lucem Ferre said

The Warlock said

But homie this is my day
No, I already graduated

You asked me to listen to it, I assumed you wanted my opinion. In response to me saying that you've never used a word that's ever caught my attention. Don't be insecure, I assure not everything I said was negative.  

that didnt make me insecure.. I wanted you to hear the track.. I just wanted to point out the original isnt much better.. so i kinda killed it..

yeah, i know your lil tricks.. throw a half a compliment in so you can shit on me with the rest..

July 29, 2019
11:51 pm
King Lucem Ferre
King Lucem Ferre
Members

The Warlock said
that didnt make me insecure.. I wanted you to hear the track.. I just wanted to point out the original isnt much better.. so i kinda killed it..

yeah, i know your lil tricks.. throw a half a compliment in so you can shit on me with the rest..  

That's not a trick. That's called an honest opinion. Thinking everything is an attack is fairly insecure.

I guess taking the fact that I'm dubious of the claims that you used to read dictionaries and have an extremely above average vocabulary can be an attack. Hey, you can't make such bold claims with out people calling it into question.

July 30, 2019
12:01 am
The Warlock
New Mexico
Members

King Lucem Ferre said

The Warlock said

That's not a trick. That's called an honest opinion. Thinking everything is an attack is fairly insecure.

I guess taking the fact that I'm dubious of the claims that you used to read dictionaries and have an extremely above average vocabulary can be an attack. Hey, you can't make such bold claims with out people calling it into question.  

I just call it how I see it.. you can pretend like you arent a hater of mine but deep down we both know the truth..

I used to read a dictionary in high school.. I dont use much big words anymore.. i wish i still did..

that was a decade ago, douchebag and I said right after my vocab isnt what it used to be.. maybe that "claim" made you insecure since youre so bent on denouncing it..

Forum Timezone: America/Chicago

Most Users Ever Online: 591

Currently Online: genocide_cutter
81 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

The Warlock: 11663

King Lucem Ferre: 9098

Old Mr Dangerous: 8974

krunk: 8060

OCJ_Brendan: 6148

Member Stats:

Guest Posters: 755

Members: 3743

Moderators: 6

Admins: 2

Forum Stats:

Groups: 5

Forums: 28

Topics: 12299

Newest Members:

Nelsonprato, Weed Tinctures, DavidLem, MichaelDes, THC Edibles

Moderators: GanjaGoblin: 2873, Psyral: 4297, bozodklown: 394, scruffy: 11447, PunkRockJuggalo: 6559, Pigg: 6492

Administrators: admin: 1, ScottieD: 845